I can't wait to hear about everyone's snow adventures.
Showing posts with label school opening. Show all posts
Showing posts with label school opening. Show all posts
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
School Open Wednesday 17 August 2011
Please dress warmly and bring change of footwear, slippers and a plastic bag for wet shoes and socks. We will be staying inside and warm. Tempting as the snow will be to play in I need everyone warm and cozy.
Monday, March 7, 2011
A Great First Day Back
![]() |
We have nearly everyone back with a few children coming back next week. The children were happy and keen to start back into school routines.
Our teachers had work ready to go and we have just finished a very successful first day back. We have welcomed some extra students who will be staying for varying amounts of time.
![]() |
| Room 1 had a Welcome Back Party! |
There has been a great deal of media interest in the school today from TV One, TV Three and The New Zealand Herald. We will place links to these as they appear.
It is worth reminding ourselves that we are very lucky as well as being very happy to be back.
Sunday, March 6, 2011
Opening Monday 7 March
We are open for students on Monday 7 March. Please note this is relatively late notice from the Ministry of Education but we are all working to make a great start back.
Pauline Cleaver from the Ministry of Education has given permission for us to open.
Allan Robertson
Pauline Cleaver from the Ministry of Education has given permission for us to open.
Allan Robertson
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Closure Continues
I cannot give a date for when we are opening. We are hoping for very early next week.
I attended a Canterbury Primary Principals' meeting this afternoon where we were briefed by members of the Ministry of Education. The job they have in front of them is mammoth. We have been very lucky at Yaldhurst and my thoughts go out to the schools who are in the midst of shattered communities.
At this point I cannot give a starting date for school. The staff are preparing for it being early next week. Civil Defence have stated that if schools pass the structural test - and we have - that they need to be able to assure them that they have safe water and sewerage. Our sewerage is fine. I have had one water test done and our well water is fine but the Canterbury District Health Board wants three tests. I will do these over the next two days. If the water testing lab is not open on Saturday I may have to wait until Monday to do the third test.
There is an outside possibility that children may need to bring bottled water for a day. If this is the case I will make sure we have an extra supply of bottled water on site.
I attended a Canterbury Primary Principals' meeting this afternoon where we were briefed by members of the Ministry of Education. The job they have in front of them is mammoth. We have been very lucky at Yaldhurst and my thoughts go out to the schools who are in the midst of shattered communities.
At this point I cannot give a starting date for school. The staff are preparing for it being early next week. Civil Defence have stated that if schools pass the structural test - and we have - that they need to be able to assure them that they have safe water and sewerage. Our sewerage is fine. I have had one water test done and our well water is fine but the Canterbury District Health Board wants three tests. I will do these over the next two days. If the water testing lab is not open on Saturday I may have to wait until Monday to do the third test.
There is an outside possibility that children may need to bring bottled water for a day. If this is the case I will make sure we have an extra supply of bottled water on site.
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
School Still Closed
Our BoT chairperson has just been informed by the Ministry of Education that all schools in Christchurch will be subject to a more in-depth structural engineers report. We now hope to open on Monday 7 March but we cannot be sure until we have been inspected and given the ok to open.
Please note this is different to the first structural engineer's inspection. This is a Civil Defence requirement.
Allan Robertson
Please note this is different to the first structural engineer's inspection. This is a Civil Defence requirement.
Allan Robertson
Civil Defence State of Emergency
These are very tough times for Christchurch and I know we have all been touched in some way by the tragedy. At this point the YMS Board of Trustees feel that the best way we can serve our community is to open the school. We are on the fringes of the city and there are other schools not too far from us (in Selwyn District) who have been allowed to open.
The Board of Trustees has to follow the Civil Defence rules and we will do so because we realise we are part of a bigger picture. We hope to open as soon as possible and we will be ready to welcome our students back with open arms.
When the Ministry of Education and Civil Defence confirm we can open, your child's teacher will ring the number we have for you on our file to check on your family and inform you of the reopening date. Please ring our office as soon as possible if your contact number has changed.
Thanks
Allan Robertson
The Board of Trustees has to follow the Civil Defence rules and we will do so because we realise we are part of a bigger picture. We hope to open as soon as possible and we will be ready to welcome our students back with open arms.
When the Ministry of Education and Civil Defence confirm we can open, your child's teacher will ring the number we have for you on our file to check on your family and inform you of the reopening date. Please ring our office as soon as possible if your contact number has changed.
Thanks
Allan Robertson
Sunday, February 27, 2011
School Remains Closed
A structural engineer commissioned by the Ministry of Education has confirmed that the school buildings are structurally safe but we have to remain closed until Civil Defence allows us to reopen.
I have been in touch with the Ministry of Education to impress upon them that we are on the outskirts of town and that we are ready to reopen so now it is in their hands.
I am very aware that these are difficult times and when the school reopens we will do our very best to accommodate the varying needs of families. We will be contacting each family individually as soon as we have more details about when we are opening.
My thoughts go out to all who are feeling great sadness at this time.
Allan
I have been in touch with the Ministry of Education to impress upon them that we are on the outskirts of town and that we are ready to reopen so now it is in their hands.
I am very aware that these are difficult times and when the school reopens we will do our very best to accommodate the varying needs of families. We will be contacting each family individually as soon as we have more details about when we are opening.
My thoughts go out to all who are feeling great sadness at this time.
Allan
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Closed Until Safety Check
The Ministry of Education have informed schools that we are closed until safety inspections have been carried out.
The moment we have been given permission to open YMS staff will ring each of our families to inform them of when we are opening. We hope it will be Monday but we cannot confirm this at the moment.
The moment we have been given permission to open YMS staff will ring each of our families to inform them of when we are opening. We hope it will be Monday but we cannot confirm this at the moment.
Friday, September 10, 2010
Looking Forward To Monday
The staff have been working very hard at school to prepare for Monday. We will be glad to see everyone!
We are going to stick to our normal routines. Business As Usual
Please follow your normal morning routine. Although I know that adults will have lots they would like to talk about the staff very much want to concentrate on the children.
Please rest assured that we will be practicing emergency procedures early this morning.
Please note I have included some links at the bottom of the 'Welcome Page' of the school website that have good advice relating to the website.
Also please note that we have postponed school photos.
It is important that you inform the school if your child is not able to attend. It is also important that you inform us if your contact details have changed.
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
YMS Not Open until Monday 13 September 2010
YMS will not be open until Monday. At this moment I cannot guarantee safe water and after recent aftershocks we have buildings that need to be checked.
Please stay safe and we look forward to seeing everyone on Monday.
Please stay safe and we look forward to seeing everyone on Monday.
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
YMS Earthquake Update Not Opening until Monday 13 September 2010
Please take note of the following message below from the Ministry of Education.
Canterbury Earthquake information
Last updated: Tuesday 7 September at 3:30pm
Important situation update 7 September at 3:30pm
Schools and early childhood services should be closed to students and children until Monday 13 September, and open to staff before that, subject to a structural clearance.
The Ministry position is that more time is needed to check schools and early childhood services buildings. This is due to the extent of initial damage and to aftershock damage occurring to buildings already checked.
Schools and early childhood services who have clearance will also need time to prepare for students returning. There are significant issues relating to water quality, especially for younger students.
Ministry advice is that Boards need to be confident that their school is structurally sound, that any damage to buildings or grounds has been assessed and isolated, equipment checked, and that plans are in place to deal with provision of water and pastoral care of students. We will make a further decision on Thursday afternoon.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)

